Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Decking the Halls

I have been excited to write this post all day because in my opinion we have the coolest decorations on our tree this year! Like I mentioned in a previous post, while my family was here over Thanksgiving we had Christmas early and decorated together and made Cinnamon Ornaments for the tree.
When I was young, my Mom made these with us, and even though I think we only did it once I always have thought about that as a tradition we did. Maybe it was because every year we would pull them out so it seemed like we did it more.
This year I wanted more special decorations on our tree. In the past three years we have been married we have gathered some special decorations, but most of them are Target blah. Nothing special, nothing out of the ordinary. Maybe I am too sentimental, but part of what I loved about decorating as a kid was pulling out all the decorations that had special meaning to us and remembering everything.
Well this year has changed our decorations! If you are in need of more decorations, or just want to have fun I highly suggest making these, they are super easy, make the house smell AMAZING, and making and decorating them makes sweet memories!
Cinnamon Ornaments
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 2 1/2 hours or 1 to 2 days drying timeINGREDIENTS
·         3/4 cup applesauce
·         1 bottle (4.12 ounces) Cinnamon
Supplies needed:
·         Cookie cutters
·         Drinking straw
·         Colorful ribbon or raffia DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 200°F. Mix applesauce and cinnamon in small bowl until a smooth ball of dough is formed. (You may need use your hands to incorporate all of the cinnamon.) Using about 1/4 of the dough at a time, roll dough to 1/4-inch to 1/3-inch thickness between two sheets of plastic wrap. Peel off top sheet of plastic wrap. Cut dough into desired shapes with 2- to 3-inch cookie cutters. Make a hole at top of ornament with drinking straw or skewer. Place ornaments on greased baking sheet.

2. Bake 2 1/2 hours. Cool ornaments on wire rack. (Or, to dry ornaments at room temperature, carefully place them on wire rack. Let stand 1 to 2 days or until thoroughly dry, turning occasionally.)

3. Insert ribbon through holes and tie to hang. Decorate with opaque paint markers, found in arts and crafts stores, if desired. Tips
Kitchen Tip: If a different size bottle of cinnamon is used, measure 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cinnamon.

Some of the decorations drying

Being creative.. ok Emily and Marta are, I am just trying to keep up!


Because what is a post if I don't have a picture of the puppy in it?


Happy baking... and still to come, "Decking the Halls, Part 2!"

No comments:

Post a Comment