Wednesday, September 1, 2010

5 weeks and counting!

Remember back in February when I broke my leg and was so disappointed because I wanted to run the marathon for World Vision? Or when I found out that I would still be able to run the marathon? Or when about two months ago I realized there was no way I would run the marathon? Well, it turns out my journey is still not over, yeah, for real this time!

A few weeks ago I decided to put my race number on Craig’s List so that I did not lose the money I spent on it. My plan was to sell it and use the money to re-invest in running. I was disappointed, but I have also committed to running short races for the rest of the year so I was over the biggest disappointment, and I figured I might as well let someone else run in my place. So a few days ago I was contacted by a lady who was training for the marathon but did not get into the race and wanted to buy my number. After going back a fourth a bit, she mentioned that she had a race number for the 10 mile race on the same day. This race is much harder to get into because it is a lottery and there is only room for a certain amount of people to run. She wanted to know if I would consider trading with her, and I said yes. (Yes, I am crazy!)

So with five weeks and counting I am starting my training for the 10 mile race on October 3rd! I am super excited because I know this is something I can do, and also know about four other people that are training for this run, so I will be doing it with friends. Training is going to be hard, and I must be really careful to not reinjure my leg, but I am really excited to do this!

And I STILL GET TO WEAR THIS!!! (How cool!!!)



I am truly so excited to see how God has worked this whole thing out. Though I wanted to run the marathon, I have learned so much over these past few months about patience, trusting God, running and so much more. Without this injury I would not have learned as much about running as I have now and feel better prepared to be a runner for life!

So what about my passion for kids in third world countries and making a difference? Well this fall, October 23rd-October 30th I have the opportunity to travel to the Dominican Republic with Phil, my Mom and Sister to do medical work in orphanages there! I am so excited to be going on this trip and also so excited for my family to see some of the things I have seen.

More on the Dominican Republic trip soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment