Thursday, September 30, 2010

A Story of Misguided Trust

You know how we got a puppy a few weeks ago? Yep, we still have him! And he is amazing, truly amazing. He sits by the door when he needs to go to the bathroom, he snuggles when we want him to, he does not chew things he should not, he plays with his toys in the cutest way possible…. The list goes on and on. I am SO in love with this little guy. One of my favorite things is that he follows ME around the house (not Phil, not Emily, ME!) and if he can’t follow me, he sits down and whimpers until I get back! I mean, I understand we are dealing with attachment issues, but it is SO cute!

So as you can guess, I feel like he is a fairly trustworthy puppy, however, the word “puppy” should have given me a clue. You see, I did something dumb, and I take full responsibility for the damages. You see, the other day as I was getting ready for work and leaving the house, instead of locking Oliver into the kitchen like I normally do, I thought, “he is so great and never does bad things, it would sure be nice if PD and Oliver could be together all day, I’ll just let the puppy have free reign of the house today” end of delusional thought.  So I left both dogs together to have a wonderful day with high hopes of nothing bad happening.
As you can guess, and as most of you are already groaning about, I was wrong. Here is the deal, you just don’t trust a puppy. Even if he is the best puppy in the world… yes, misguided trust for sure.
When I came home, I was greeted by two very happy dogs that had clearly bonded over their day together, however Oliver clearly had some fun of his own. The couch apparently makes a much better bed than his own (duh) and I guess it must taste good too… although it could have been much worse, he chewed a very small hole in one of the arms rests. My favorite pare of flip-flops have been decorated with teeth marks… quite stylish. And my headphones (you know, my favorite pare, the one I looked EVERYWHERE for… guess who is going headphone shopping before the race on Sunday?!) were chewed completely. I guess he was just trying to listen to music…
I have learned my lesson, you just don’t trust a puppy, even the best of puppies….

But seriously… look at that face?! How could you NOT trust him?!  

Yes, this is where he sits to watch me get ready in the morning...


No comments:

Post a Comment