Thursday, March 17, 2011

Freedom

Freedom I think is one of those things that we just take for granted in America, we all know how our freedom was fought for, and sometimes, maybe appreciate what that means for us. Honestly, I think most Americans (including myself) totally forget the sacrifices that were made so we can live in a country like America.
While living in a free country is awesome, and I am so thankful for our freedom, I think there is a freedom that most of us have not experienced or even know about. Our lives are full of things that take our freedom away without us even realizing it. Though we live in a free country most of us are carrying around heavy chains without even the slightest realization of them or how they are tearing our lives apart. Obviously I am not talking in a literal sense, but the chains we carry are no less real or damaging.
In Exodus, most of us are probably familiar with the story of the Israelites and how they were enslaved to the Egyptians. After this has gone on for a long time, God called Moses to free His people. So after a lot of trepidation Moses went to Pharaoh (the ruler of the Egyptian land) and asked for his people to be freed. I can just imagine Pharaoh laughing in his face, why would he do this? The Israelites were hard working slaves and there was no way he was going to let them go. So Moses along with God sent ten plagues to the land of Egyptians. Each plague was worse than the next, but still Pharaoh would not let them go. Finally, God said that after the Passover he was going to send the tenth plague, this was by far the worst and hardest one. Moses directed the Israelites to put blood over their doors from the sacrificed lamb so that they would be spared; if this was not done Moses told the people the first born would die.
Exodus 11:1
Then the Lord said to Moses, “I will strike Pharaoh and the land of Egypt with one more blow. After that, Pharaoh will let you leave this country. In fact, he will be so eager to get rid of you that he will force you all to leave.
Exodus 1:4-8
Moses had announced to Pharaoh, “This is what the Lord says: At midnight tonight I will pass through the heart of Egypt. 5 All the firstborn sons will die in every family in Egypt, from the oldest son of Pharaoh, who sits on his throne, to the oldest son of his lowliest servant girl who grinds the flour. Even the firstborn of all the livestock will die. 6 Then a loud wail will rise throughout the land of Egypt, a wail like no one has heard before or will ever hear again. 7 But among the Israelites it will be so peaceful that not even a dog will bark. Then you will know that the Lord makes a distinction between the Egyptians and the Israelites. 8 All the officials of Egypt will run to me and fall to the ground before me. ‘Please leave!’ they will beg. ‘Hurry! And take all your followers with you.’ Only then will I go!” Then, burning with anger, Moses left Pharaoh.
This seems pretty extreme, hu? Honestly, how could my loving God do something like this? It just seems crazy. It says later on in 12:30 that not a single house was left without someone dead. That is a lot of grief and loss. Finally, after this Pharaoh let the Israelites go.
As I read that recently, I was struck by something. God wants our freedom. God wants us to live lives that glorify Him completely. In fact, he wants our freedom so much that He sent His one and only Son to give us that freedom. So why are we still walking around in chains?
I think we have settled for a religion that fits our needs when we want, and might satisfy us some of the time, but the chains we carry around prevent us from really getting to know our Savior. We believe that we are helpless to change and that no amount of will power or trying will help, we are stuck so we settle. Yet, what I see in this story and the story of how Christ came to die for our sins shows me something different. It shows me that God WANTS to give us freedom, and is more than WILLING to do what it takes for that to be accomplished. If he wasn’t, the whole dying on the cross was a waste of time.
So what are we missing? I think we settle for ok when life can be great. Taking the chains off can be painful, so we would rather carry around the weight then deal with the healing that needs to take place in our lives. But you know what I have discovered? When I reach out my hand to God and ask Him to help me remove the chains, he is so faithful to do just that. The key is us moving, Christ is already there offering His hand to give us freedom, we just need to take it and allow the process of change to take place.
In the Beth Moore book I am reading, she put it this way:
“God surpasses our dreams when we reach past our personal plans and agendas to grab the hand of Christ and walk the path He has chosen for us. He is obligated to keep us dissatisfied until we come to Him and His plan for complete satisfaction” from Breaking Free
I am determined to live a life free of the chains and bondage that is so easy to fall into and grab hold of the hand of Christ to find my deepest satisfaction in Him alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment