Friday, March 4, 2011

San Diego!

Well, we made it! As I think I mentioned a few posts ago, I am leading a trip of thirteen students on a mission’s trip to the inner city of San Diego for a week. We left snowy Minnesota yesterday morning and arrived four hours later to 70 degrees and sunny! Apparently for the people who live here it’s “cold” we obviously don’t think so!

While we are here we are working with an organization called World Impact doing VBS and some work on a few of the staff member’s homes. When we arrived yesterday we picked up our two vans and made it to the house we are staying at. There are only four actual beds so many are sleeping on the floor, but everyone is being so flexible!  Since we are also in charge of all our own meals, we also took a trip to the local Wal-mart to get a TON of food! It was a blast shopping with the whole team, I gave each person a few things to get and it went fairly fast. It’s amazing how much money you can spend on groceries for fifteen people… and we only got enough for a few days! After our shopping trip we were all starving, so we headed to this little hole in the wall taco stand. It was amazing! If we had taco stands all over MN like they have here, I would be one happy girl!
Today we are headed to training where we will learn about what we are doing over the next few days. So far we know roughly what we will be doing, but not many specifics. We just keep on telling the team it’s all about being flexible! Seriously though, they are an awesome bunch, and I am very excited to have the privilege of getting to know them!

Over the next few days, we would love to have your prayers! Here are a few things to pray about:

-         - Team unity! Though we are all from Northwestern, many of us do not know each other well and I am praying that we will be able to build strong relationships and have great team unity not just for us, but so that we can serve more effectively!

      -Health, a few of us are struggling with colds, so I would ask for prayer that the rest of the team stays healthy and that those of us who are sick will get better soon!

-          -Safety as we are driving in the city and also on work projects

-           - For true life change to happen and our eyes to be open to things greater then ourselves!

I am hoping to update frequently and have asked the team if they would like to write about their experiences as well!



No comments:

Post a Comment